Saturday, November 8, 2008

Dun dun duuuuuh!

Whooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...


That’s the noise my compy’s making.
Charming, ain’t it? Whoooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Let’s all pretend to be obnoxious, almost 4-year old computers, who are slowly shutting down, system by system (it can’t read SD cards now), who can’t seem to read CD’s or DVD’s anymore without skipping (CDs) or without audio AND skipping (DVDs) (even WITH the new CD drive my dad had to put in 3 years ago [because I may or may not have accidentally yanked the original one out by yanking on some embroidery thread that may or may not have been closed in it by accident one day which I did not know was in it, hence the yanking]), whose internet is shit (although, that I blame purely on Bell Canada, even if it may or may not be this compy’s fault [I think it is now, unlike before]).
Come on everyone! Let’s make the “Kristen’s Compy!” noise! Whoooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Not to be mistaken with the “Call of the male asshole” which is “Whooooorrrrrrrre!” Common knowledge, that.


So, yes, my computer is going to blow up soon. It’s been making this noise, on and off, for about 5 months now. It just seemed fine before, a little bit of noise, then it would go away (most conveniently whenever I took it to someone to listen to). But it’s been “Whoooor’ing” non stop for pretty much the month of October, so I finally emailed the Compaq HP people, explaining, and they responded (quite quickly, really) and told me that from my description, it sounded like it was the cooling fan, and to continue trying to clean it out (which is what I had been doing. I’ve been through 2 cans of compressed air and countless amounts of time peering, with a flashlight, into the grids that the fans are behind). So I recorded the sound with my Sansa and sent it to my dad (who knows WAY more about computer’s than I ever could). He told me to take it to some people, to take it to some more people, and then go and take it to some more people. I hate people. Also, I knew that if I took it to see anyone, they would want to hang onto it for a few days or weeks (last time we asked Best Buy how long it would take to fix the CD drive and they said 3-4 weeks, hence why dad installed it himself). I can’t send it away. As sad as reality is these days, my life revolves around this compy. My “social” (HAHAHAHA!) life, my SCHOOL life. So, no.
So I was thinking that the cooling fan was the one closest to my hand, and that is not the one making noise, so I emailed that to Vati, who checked out the make and model (to be sure) and, sure enough, it’s not the cooling fan.
It’s the hard drive.
Dun dun duuuuuh.

So I ran out to buy a USB external drive and have backed up as much shit as I could. I mean, when my dad (mr. serious email sender, mr. “I email ministers and commissioners” ) sends an email that include the lines “So if it is predominantly on the left...it's the hard drive. Which means get that external usb hard drive asap and back up your stuff.” I don’t think I’ve ever seen him use “...” in a sentence before. Dun dun duuuuuh!

On the bright side, though, I told mom via phone to tell him that I bought the USB thing, and that I really think taking it to someone who will keep for a few weeks and then give it back to me, telling me to get the hard drive replaced or tell me to get a new computer is sort of pointless. So my dad emailed me and asked me if I think I should just get a new one. I said “YES!” So I am. It’s shipped home first, so Mr. Computer-Man-Dad can set it up, and then it’s coming down here. SCORE!
Let’s just hope this one doesn’t blow up in the meantime...did I just jinx myself?


On another note: Does it make me stupid if I’m looking forward to tonight because I’m going to stay up late watching “ Pride and Prejudice ” and “Beauty and the Beast” and eat lemon cookies and Macaroni and Cheese? I think it may. OH WELL! ;D


Whoooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...


PS. The camera search is on the backburner until I get this new computer. And then, I’m thinking something that can take a decent landscape shot...
>>
<<

No comments: