Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Heavy Rain Demo

I've been watching and watching this demo for the PS3's upcoming Heavy Rain. I don't own a PS3, I'm a Nintendo gal, but I've always been impressed and in awe of the Playstation's animation quality, in regards to realistic characters and settings, in comparison to the other consoles out on the market.
I was re-directed to this demo from various other YouTube videos, and was struck.
The animation is brilliant, as per usual, but the dialogue? For some reason I find it so utterly remarkable and captivating! Ms. "Mary Smith" is one good "actress."
When this game comes out, I'm going to have to rent a system and the game just so I can see it in real life.



Just in case you want it (or I want it, later on), someone wrote up the script for the monologue. Here it is:

Voice 1: Go ahead, take a seat. Can you give me your name and your age, please?
Mary: My name is Mary Smith, I'm 24.
Voice 1: Have you ever taken any acting lessons, Mary?
Mary: Not really, I couldn't afford it. But I watch a lot of films and I learned so much by watching them
Voice 1: Have you shot anything recently?
Mary: I've had a few big parts, little things here and there. Nothing very serious for the moment. I'm always too tall, too short, wrong hair.. heh, there's always something wrong with me.
Voice 1: Ok, have you learned your lines?
Mary: Yes.
Voice 1: Let's get started. Mark it please.
Voice 2: Casting Heavy Rain, Actress Mary Smith. Take one.
Voice 1: And... action.

The first time I saw you, I knew you were the one. I thought these things only happened in the movies, you know? Pounding heart, the sweaty hands and the shaky legs. I was coming out of the theatre and it started pouring heavy rain. So there I was soaking wet, teeth chattering, freezing cold and then you came up to me. You looked me straight in the eyes and said "Need an umbrella, Miss?" You sent me flowers for weeks and said you'd love me forever, 3 months later we were getting married. God it sounds so stupid. It's such a corny romance.

But real life never ends with being what you think it's going to be. You think it's going to be one big happy fairy tale. And then one day you wake up in an average little house leading an average little life, and your real dreams are about paying the bills and maybe some day getting a bigger T.V. As you realise that maybe that wasn't the life you were dreaming of. You realise maybe things could have been different, and maybe I actually could have lived with all that, but then one day it all just slips.

It starts with something small, a little lipstick on the collar, a few nights when you come home a bit late. At first I tell myself that I'm crazy, that you would never do such a thing. But just to ease my mind one night I follow you as you leave the office, I follow you to the seedy hotel where you meet the girl... and then my whole world falls apart.

I come home, and I cry for hours in my kitchen. I get the gun from the draw in the bedroom, and I tell myself that if this is all that life has to offer me, then I can do without.

But then I change my mind, after all I'm not the one who's cheating. So, quietly, I wait for you to come home, sitting in my average little kitchen. Obviously when you get home you don't suspect a thing, so I press the fucking gun against your forehead, and I take a few seconds to watch the fear grow in your eyes. You tell yourself 'She won't do it, she doesn't have the guts! She's just trying to teach me a lesson.' But you are so wrong, honey. I sentence you to death for turning my life into a soap opera cliché. For stepping on my dreams, for not giving a shit about me all those years, and for lying to me, and betraying me and humiliating me. I'm making an example out of you for all the assholes out there who think they can just keep fucking us over and over.

Good bye, my love.

Mary: So, how was it?
Voice 1: Very nice.
Mary: You think I might stand a chance?
Voice 1: Someone will get in touch with you and let you know.
Voice 2: She wasn't too bad, huh?
Voice 1: Doesn't matter, she's still too tall for the part. Next.

No comments: