Sunday, April 20, 2008

Poem, Day 20

I fill my days with complaints
and chocolate syrup.
I bask in the joy of being “independent”
and without a man to “tie me down.”
I allow the sun to kiss the apples of my cheeks knowing
that the sun is my only daytime lover,
the moon my only bedtime visitor.

I fill my nights with romance movies
and bags of popcorn left cold,
uneaten.

I spend my dreams wanting love.
Love that would leave me dashed upon
the cliffs of Dover.
White and chalky and full of passion.
I want warmth,
to be filled with the glow of a heart enflamed.
I want a love that will leave me gasping
for a fleeting breath of stale air
and thirsting
for the burn of whiskey on my parched tongue.
I want a love that would withstand time,
and drama,
and anger,
and passion,
and burnout,
bombs,
beauty
and war.

I want a life
that mirrors the screen that glares at me
from across my stale popcorn
as the dawn sun glints through dusty windows.

No comments: