Saturday, April 5, 2008

Poem, Day 5

I know.
I try to ignore it
too.

pushing pounds
up stairwells,
ankles hurting,
feet hurting,
ego hurting,
head hurting.
I sort of think
you’re watching me
as I attempt the
impossible:
climbing 3 flights of stairs
non-stop,
without the huffing,
the puffing.
I sort of know
you’re disgusted by me.
please, then,
forgive the way
my stomach quivers as I laugh,
my breath comes in short huffs
after I walk up the hill,
my eyes glow in the presence of friends and,
sometimes,
food.
the way my chin(s) jiggle as I speak,
the way my breasts
(42 Gs)
bounce as I strut.
forgive my grotesqueness.
I truly don’t mean to offend.

do you really think I like being this way?
that I’m fat for the soul purpose
of garnering stares, pity, disgust, hate from others?

don’t you think I know it’s my own fault?

you don’t hear me apologizing,
in my head,
daily,
for my weight.

you don’t hear me cry about it all
when I’m home alone.

No comments: